Monday, 10 January 2011

In Review: Rock & Chips

Hello everybody!

Well if anybody reads this anyway. Hope everybody had a good Christmas and New Year and here we are in 2011. The beginning of a new decade.

Now, for those who don't know, 'Rock & Chips' is a BBC Comedy/Drama (Dramedy, if you prefer) that is a prequel to a very successful BBC Sitcom called 'Only Fools and Horses' which ran from 1981 to 1991 for 7 series and 9 Christmas specials from 1991 to 2003. Both shows were created by John Sullivan.

Rock & Chips was only intended to be a one off drama in 2010 but critical and public response to it prompted creator John Sullivan to write two more.

It's set in 1960 with the Teenage Derek 'Del Boy' Trotter living in "Sir Walter Raleigh House" with his Mum Joan, Dad Reg, Newborn brother Rodney and Grandad on a council estate in Peckham, South London.

To me, this is a perfect prequel created by the man who created the original show. He hasn't re-written anything that would cause a noticeable paradox in OFAH. Just the ages, which as you'll learn in OFAH Del isn't too eager to tell his age. This is the story of The Trotters beginnings.

What is also excellent about these specials is that the actor who played Rodney in 'OFAH' Nicholas Lyndhurst is also playing Rodney's father in these. Freddie 'The Frog' Robdal and you don't see him as Rodney in these. You see him as the character he's playing. Rodney is such an iconic character in British sitcom as is Del Boy (played in OFAH by the marvelous David Jason and by James Buckley of 'The Inbetweeners" fame in Rock & Chips) but Buckley portrays the Teenage Del Boy perfectly. There is no obvious impression of David Jason's portrayal because that's not who Del was back then. He was just starting out. And also the supporting cast of Del Boy's mates who inevitably become lifelong friends of his. Boycie, Trigger, Denzil, Albie Littlewood, Jumbo Mills and of course, the much reviled Roy Slater.

There's still much more material to go on with this show. I think doing them in specials is a good idea but I'd also like to see a series of this show. We're beginning to see where Del picked up his mannerisms, his silly french phrases and i think we'd all love to see the introduction of that classic Robin Reliant Van. But that must come later. When Rodney will be a toddler, when their dear mother Joan has passed away (after having quite a bit to say on her deathbed) after their much hated father has left home never to return until years later.

I think Rock & Chips should end with Del left on his own to take care of Rodney and Grandad. With the challenges and hilarity of the situations that await them and with the dreamy words that will echo down the years.....


"This time next year, we'll be Millionaires!"

1 comment:

  1. Great review, baby! :-D You know I love the show. I was already a huge Nicholas Lyndhurst fan, but now I think I love David Jason just as much! Well... MAYBE. ;-)

    But yeah, I love the little bit you threw in about his mum having quite a bit to say on her deathbed! Very cute. And, I think it's a great show and I agree that James Buckley is doing a good job. I'd definitely like to see more from this series.

    ReplyDelete