Monday, 21 March 2011

Dual Citizenship: Unbelievable?

After attending the South By Southwest (SXSW) festival in Austin, TX (Which also happens to be where I live so, go figure it out!) this past week. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great atmosphere, great bands, The Strokes were my particular favourite out of the two we went to see. We were going to head on down on Saturday to see Yoko Ono do a 1am gig in a club but when we tried to get out of our bedroom we found that some evil, loathsome bastard had bricked up the doorway! For Love nor Buggery! Unbelievable!

On the other hand, I've been thinking about Dual Citizenship and If I am automatically eligible or not?

These are the eternal questions one has to ask while one is wandering through a park with roughly 25,000 people, trying to find one's mother-in-law and getting his arse clumsily slapped by an intoxicated teenage girl. I seriously thought about doing it back to her, but then i remembered that whenever I do anything even remotely crazy my life turns into The Bourne Identity and I just keep running around with a backpack on and a confused look on my face trying to escape the men in grey hats and teenage girls with arse-slapping on their minds. Though there are less and less of the teenage girls and more and more men in grey hats these days.  Unbelievable.

Once I become a US Citizen, or rather, when i can stand outside festival gates and sing 'Star Spangled Banner' until they let me in. (Also works at Doorbusters!) I wonder if I'll just automatically keep my UK citizenship. After doing some research I can. Which is a huge relief.

This basically means that when My wife and I travel between Britain and America we can go through the Citizen line and not be hassled by HM Customs or DHS who will want to know what's up our arses.

At the moment I'm known as a sort of "Resident Alien" and once I receive Permanent Residence status it will be Conditional for 2 years. After which i either apply to get a Green Card (Citizen) or they kick me out. (Bye Bye Miss American Pie)

I will keep you all updated. If anyone is in fact reading this.

3 comments:

  1. I sure wish you had some other expats reading this so they could tell us what does, in fact, happen. Someone? Anyone? *crickets*

    Ah well, we'll be all right. In the meantime, you are the cutest writer, albeit a bit crazy. LOVES YA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should appeal to some knowledgeable expats directly. There are plenty of expat blogs. Good luck!

    How was Yoko??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have been enquiring on the excellent VisaJourney website.

    Sadly we never made it to see Yoko, we were dog tired after the Strokes and Blue October shows.

    ReplyDelete